Credit Information at your Fingertips ...
The Malta Association of Credit Management, known as MACM, is a members-owned, not-for-profit organisation, providing a central national organisation for the promotion and protection of all credit interests pertaining to Maltese businesses.
Weekly Tip - A sale is not a sale unless it is paid!
1. Credit Management Information System Provider
Creditors need reliable and up-to-date credit information pertaining to credit and cash flow management in order to analyse and continuously monitor the credit worthiness of their existing debtors and any potential credit applicants in a proactive manner. MACM strives to meet the needs of its Members, Maltese businesses selling on credit, by providing effective and timely credit management information to ensure that it Members get the following benefits:
• Minimising the risk associated with credit
• Keeping credit management cost low
• Avoiding bad debts
• Being consistent in credit management decisions
• Controlling of credit management processes
• Monitoring Debtors on a daily basis
• Increasing the performance of the credit management department or business function
• Enhancing long-term customer relationship, thus improving customer retention
• Identifying financially solvent prospects, turning credit risk into credit rewards
• Maintaining sound cash flow
• Sustaining profitability
We are living in an era when Information is King and this applies also to the managing of credit. Without up-to-date and cost-effective Credit Management Information System, a creditor cannot take profitable credit decisions in a proactive manner. Up-to-date and cost effective credit management information system is available to all MACM Members.
2. Credit Management Education
Despite ‘Debtors’ represent one of the key assets in the balance sheets of the majority of organisations trading on credit, the Maltese labour market lacks trained people in the field of credit management.
To enhance the role of the Credit Profession in Malta and to improve the managing of credit in general, MACM organizes a number of Conferences, Seminars, Workshops, Lectures and In-House Training. It also takes part in activities organised by other institutions both locally and abroad.
In addition, MACM is the accredited Training Centre of the Chartered Institute of Credit Management (UK) to offer credit management education programmes in Malta, leading to a Diploma in Credit Management.
3. Lobby Group
Various legislative issues were addressed by MACM and have been discussed with politicians from both sides of the Maltese political sphere and with other relative professional bodies, in order to promote changes to legislation and to lobby for adequate enforcement of such legislation accordingly. The main scope of the lobbying activities is to ensure a healthier credit environment.
The various legislative areas discussed were:
- The Data Protection Act
- The Companies Act
- The Business Promotions Act
- The Commercial Code as regards Negotiable Instruments
- The Banking Act
- The Late Payment in Commercial Transaction Directive
- The Consumer Credit Directive
- Dishonoured Cheques Regulation
- SEPA Project Judicial System